Posted: Oct 23, 2021
WESTMINSTER, Md. - The Goucher College women's volleyball team dropped both ends of a trimatch against Centennial Conference opponents on Saturday, falling 3-1 to Ursinus and 3-0 to host McDaniel at the Gill Center Saturday afternoon.
- Set scores were 25-9, 17-25, 25-20, 25-22.
- Rachel Chapman (Rochester, N.Y. / Churchville Chili) led the Gophers (5-16) with 13 kills on .250 hitting.
- Kaya Melchor (Mililani, Hawaii / Kamehameha Schools Kapalama) had eight kills and six digs.
- Nicole Kovach (New York, N.Y. / Quest to Learn) handed out 27 assists and posted seven digs and five service aces.
- Neli La Court Ruiz (York, Pa. / Northeastern) notched 15 digs.
- Ursinus hit .282 with the Gophers hitting .145.
- Goucher led the second set 17-14 when it took control with five straight points capped by an Elizabeth Bobo (Milford, Pa. / Delaware Valley) service ace.
- Set scores were 25-19, 25-21, 25-20.
- Bobo paced the Gophers with eight kills on .444 hitting, with Chapman adding seven.
- Bobo also added three blocks (two solo).
- Melchor had a team-high nine digs, with Necole Stravino (Quezon City, Philippines / Nadua (Va,)) posting seven.
- Kovach tallied 19 assists and five digs.
- McDaniel hit .264 with Goucher hitting .158.
- The Gophers fell behind 11-3 in the third set before seven straight points with Jordan Rowe (Raleigh, N.C. / Alex Friendship) serving made it 11-10.
- Goucher tied the set 15-15 on a Bobo service ace but did not take the lead.
- Ruiz saw her string of matches with double-digit digs snapped at 12 in the second match.
- Chapman led the Gophers in kills for the 17th time this season.
- Goucher returns to Landmark Conference play on Wednesday when it travels to 10th-ranked Juniata for a 7 pm match.